Question of the day: What does healthy living mean to you? What are some ways you can improve your health and wellness?
To me, healthy living is an overall lifestyle. It’s about making the right choices in your daily life and consciously being aware of your body. It’s not always about your outward appearance but rather your insides. Your health begins with you. The same body you have today, is the same one you will have till the end. It is very important what we intake because it can affect us later on down the line.
- What will you be eating today?
- Is it healthy or it is junk?
- How many cups of water will you be consuming today?
- How many times to eat in a day?
- How often do you exercise?
- How many hours of sleep do you get daily?
- What does your breakfast, lunch, dinner consist of?
- How often to you go to the doctor for a checkup?
- Do you stress a lot? What is causing you to worry?
- What are you willing to do to stay healthy?
Looking for events geared towards healthy living? Below I will share different services that are entailed for you.
The IT Girl Massage Therapy, L.L.C: A brand new professional massage company serving New Jersey. Dedicated to the health and wellness of others while guiding them toward making better decisions about their bodies and overall health through massage. The IT Girl Massage Therapy, L.L.C. is a very professional, intuitive, caring, and healing company providing star-quality massages and super-fast service to out-calls, hotels and venues. Specialties include: Deep Tissue, Swedish, Hot Stones, Reflexology, Chair, and an Indian scalp massage which all provide the “WOW” factor.Call: 973-233-4867 |Bichelle Harrison: Licensed Massage Therapist|Email: TheITGirlMassageTherapy@gmail.com
- Aiki Acupuncture: Acupuncture is home to Bill Lehr, a certified acupuncture practitioner schooled in the Eastern School of Acupuncture. Trained in Kiiko Matsumoto’s Japanese Acupuncture, TCM and the Five Elements, Lehr treats injuries related to auto accidents, infertility, migraines, stress and allergies. For more information on additional services, Call: 973-342-1243|Bill Lehr: L.Ac.|Email: BillLehr@gmail.com
- Pilates Mat Class: A fun and challenging Pilates mat workout. This class will strengthen your body, lengthen your muscles, flatten your abdominal, and improve your breathing, among other things. The best part is at the end of the class your body will feel refreshed, flexible and happy. For more information, Call: 973-746-6191| Patrice Dlugos| You can visit http://www.pilatesforlifenj.com|
- Funari Parent Coaching: Our mission is to reach out to mothers and fathers struggling with challenges and offer them support, tools and inspiration for bringing forth their best parenting. Most parents experience times when they feel overwhelmed or stuck in a difficult situation with their children but not for lack of love. We offer guidance, personalized coaching, supportive groups, educational workshops and resources which help parents build knowledge, confidence and determination to be the calm, effective leaders their children need, now and throughout life. For more information, Call: 973-477-5439| Mary Funari| You can visit funariparentcoaching.com |
All the information that I have enlisted are people I got the opportunity to meet. I did my internship at New Jersey Center For Healthy Living. There, I was able to meet these staff workers who are great at what they do. For more event and classes, you can visit www.njchl.com/ |
Tips on some of the things you can do to stay healthy.
- Eat well and take care of yourself. How do you do that? Take time to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. Don’t eat after 6pm. Don’t go to bed right after eating. Walk around. Relax your mind.
- Make a schedule on the days you want to go to the gym. Be consistent. When your consistent, you begin to see change/improvement. Have a gym buddy if that’s the only way, you can stay motivated but know that you can exercise alone.
- Incorporate fruits/vegetables in your diet.
- Drink at least 6-7 glasses of water a day
- Stay away from junk food. Yes, treat yourself once in a while but don’t let it become a daily habit.
- Instead of buying fast food meals, start cooking meals. Yes, I understand that buying ingredients to prepare a meal can be expensive but it all depends on what you are cooking.
- Go to the doctor/dentist at least once or twice a year.
- Be careful what you eat, listen to, and surround yourself with. Being healthy has many layers. The people we surround ourselves play a huge role in our lives. The music we listen to can rejuvenate us or leave us feeling down. The food we choose to intake is also a choice s chose wisely.
Cooking time 15 minutes
- 2 chicken breast fillets cut into small chunks
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp crushed chili
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 large handful of basil, chopped
- 250 g mascarpone
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely diced
- 1 tsp butter
- 200g dried penne
- 10 g parmesan, finely grated
- 50 g spinach
- 200 g asparagus with the ends removed and then cut the tips into quarters
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. In a large bowl mix together the chicken chunks, olive oil, paprika, chili flakes and mixed herbs. Add in half of the lemon zest and juice and half of the basil and season generously with salt and pepper. Pour the chicken onto a baking tray and place in the oven for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta according to the packet instructions.
- In a large frying pan or similar heat the butter on medium heat and stir in the garlic to fry for a few minutes. Add the mascarpone and squeeze in the remaining lemon juice, parmesan and two tablespoons of pasta water. Season this with salt and pepper, add in the vegetables and basil and then bring to the boil. Let this boil away for five minutes until the sauce thickens up.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and drain the pasta and the add both of these into the saucepan. Stir until everything is evenly coated in the sauce and then serve.
Recipe//Rosie : https://wishtodish.co.uk/2017/02/12/lemon-and-mascarpone-penne-with-chili-chicken-and-asparagus/
Picture: Me 🙂
- 1 banana
- 1 Handful of baby spinach
- Blend & Enjoy
- 6 large Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoonspaprika
- 1 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/3 – 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper (this prevents sticking, but do keep an eye on it as this recipe is baked at a higher heat).
Peel and dice the potatoes and place inside a large bowl. Set aside.
In a smaller bowl, combine the olive oil and spices and stir well.
Pour the olive oil mixture over the potatoes and stir to coat.
Spread the potatoes on the baking sheet.
Bake at 450 degrees for 35 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
Once the potatoes are tender inside and crispy outside, they are done. Season with more salt if desired.
BUFFALO CHICKEN AND CAULIFLOWER TAQUITOS
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 60-70 minutes
Yield: 18 taquitos
Type: Main Dish, Chicken, Entertaining
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 large cauliflower, chopped into florets
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
salt + pepper
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used 2%)
1/2 cup Buffalo wing sauce + more for serving (use your favorite)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup shredded jalapeño jack cheese
1/4 cup chopped green onion
18-20 6-inch flour tortillas (taco/fajita size)
For serving: ranch or blue cheese dressing, chopped green onion, Buffalo wing sauce
- FOR THE CHICKEN: bring a large pot of water to a boil. Carefully add chicken breasts to the pot and return to a boil. Cover with a fitted lid and remove from heat. Allow the chicken breasts to sit for approximately 25-30 minutes, or until fully cooked. Once cooked, remove chicken from the pot (the leftover water makes great chicken stock!) and set aside to cool.
- FOR THE CAULIFLOWER: preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl toss together the cauliflower florets with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Spread cauliflower onto prepared baking sheet and roast from approximately 20-25 minutes, or until cauliflower is cooked and browning at the tips. Remove baking sheet from the oven and set aside to cool.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the Greek yogurt, Buffalo wing sauce, garlic powder, shredded jalapeño jack cheese and chopped green onion. Set aside.
- Once cool enough, shred the chicken breasts (using two forks or your fingers) and chop the cauliflower into small bits. Transfer both the chicken and the cauliflower to a large mixing bowl. To the same bowl mix in the yogurt wing sauce mixture until fully combined.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Assemble the taquitos by laying each tortilla on a flat, clean surface. Scoop approximately 1/4 – 1/3 cup of the buffalo chicken mixture into the center of each tortilla. Using your hands, tightly roll the tortilla. Transfer to the baking sheet and repeat until all of the buffalo chicken mixture has been used. Use a pastry brush to brush a thin layer of olive oil over the tops of each rolled tortilla and place them in the oven to bake for approximately 10-15 minutes, or until tortillas are just starting to brown at the edges and cheese has melted.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm with a side of blue cheese or ranch dressing. Delicious served immediately and eaten leftover.
- 1 1/4 Pounds Chicken Tenders, Boneless and Skinless About 12
- 1 Cup Ranch Dressing
- 2 Cups Crushed Cornflakes Cereal
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
Add the ranch dressing to one medium bowl. Mix together the cornflakes and sharp cheddar in a separate medium bowl.
Dip the chicken tenders into the ranch dressing, then dredge the chicken in the cornflakes and cheddar mixture, pressing to coat as needed. Repeat with remaining tenders, until all are coated.
Place chicken tenders on prepared baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until chicken is crisp and has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
Allow chicken to cool on the pan for 5 minutes after cooking. Serve with extra ranch dressing as desired.
- 1 whole chicken breast, deboned
- 1/2 of an avocado, cut into thin slices
- 3-5 pieces of cherry tomatoes, halved
- Cucumber, cut into thin slices
- Red onions, lightly chopped
- 1 1/2 cup of spinach
- 1 tbsp of chopped walnuts
- 1/8 cup of olive oil
- 1/8 cup of Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp of honey
- 1/8 of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Season both sides of the chicken with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Cook chicken over medium high heat with a cover lid for 6-8 minutes on each side until thoroughly cooked, depending on the chicken’s thickness. Once cooked, let cool for 5 minutes.
- To make the vinaigrette, combine the olive oil, Dijon mustard, honey, and lemon juice and mix well.
- Cut the cooked chicken breast laterally into strips of about 2 cm of width.
- In a bowl, mix together the avocado, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, red onions, spinach, chicken, and vinaigrette.
- Top with walnuts and some red pepper flakes for some extra spiciness.
- 2 cups kale fresh
- 2 cups water
- 3 bananas
- 1/4 avocado
- Juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon optional
Blend kale and water until smooth.
Next add the remaining fruits and blend again.
- 12 eggs, hard boiled & peeled
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- pinch of salt & pepper
- Sprinkle smoked paprika
- Cut cooked eggs in half.
- Arrange egg whites cut-side up on a serving plate
- Place yolks in a small mixing bowl.
- Mash yolks with fork & stir in mayonnaise, mustard, and vinegar.
- Stir ingredients well.
- Add salt & pepper
- Spoon mixture into a small piping bag fitted with a star tip
- Squeeze a small dollop into each egg white half
- Sprinkle eggs with smoked paprika
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve
Place about 1/4 cup chicken mixture in center of each disco. Fold over to form a half moon. Moisten edges with water and using fork, press edges tightly to seal. Pierce empanadas several times with knife.
Heat 1 inch of oil in deep skillet. Add empanadas in batches and fry until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining empanadas. Serve with additional Frank’s RedHot Sauce and/or blue cheese dressing for dipping.